The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The vision of the Educational Quality and Assessment Programme (EQAP) is to be 'The agency for educational quality in the Pacific region'. Its mission is to enhance the quality of education and training for Pacific learners, so they realize the benefits of lifelong learning. EQAP seeks to promote the following core values within the context of SPC's corporate values:
- a culture of quality;
- a culture of continuous improvement;
- cultural and political sensitivity;
- respect for the autonomy and priorities of the education system in each Pacific Island country and territory (PICT); and
- assimilation of the expressed needs of countries in its delivery of technical services.
The Senior Programme Assistant (Qualifications) will manage the testing and the entry of data using the online Pacific Regional Accreditation System (PRAS). This role will also provide support with the processing of accreditation applications and registration of qualification on the Pacific Register of Qualifications and Standards (PRQS), that contribute to the successful achievement of outcomes under the Qualifications Unit, through the direct support of professional services provided by the Professional Officers, the EQAP Director and Principal Advisor.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Accreditation applications processing support
- Maintenance of the Pacific Register of Qualifications and Standards (PRQS)
- Management and maintenance of the Pacific Regional Accreditation System (PRAS)
- Support with management of clients and partners and annual work planning
- Administrative and financial support
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided.
Key selection criteria
- A bachelor's degree in information systems, administration, or business management/commerce or in any other subject area from a recognized institution
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 3 years of experience working in administration and/or management preferably in an area of education
- Familiar with data entry and identifying issues with online web applications
- Knowledge and competency in advance information technology tools, including word processing, spreadsheets, power point presentation and databases
- Experience in negotiating with people from different ethnic, cultural, and educational backgrounds
- Proven record of punctuality and commitment to the work through good record of attendance at the workplace and related professional activities
- Proven record of efficiency, attention to details and accuracy in carrying out all duties
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration - 3 years
Remuneration - The Senior Programme Assistant (Qualifications) is a Band 7 position in SPC's 2022 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of 2,232-2,790 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Recruitment principles - SPC's recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilingualism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander.
Closing Date - 27 January 2022 at 11:45pm Fiji time
Applicants must apply online at: http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. These documents may be requested at a later stage.
Please ensure that you respond to all the screening questions. If you do not respond to the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
- Discuss about your skills and experiences in working with information systems and managing data electronically.
- As a Senior Programme Assistant, one will be liaising with other sections of such SPC such as finance and procurement. Discuss 3 desirable behaviours one needs to demonstrate when liaising with these and other sections of SPC.
- Discuss 3 ways through which the quality of the higher education and training could be improved
JD Senior Programme Assistant (Qualifications).docx