- Attractive local package
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Join the principal development organisation in the Pacific region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The vision of the Educational Quality and Assessment Programme (EQAP) is to be ‘the agency for educational quality in the Pacific region’. Its mission is to enhance the quality of education and training for Pacific learners so they realise the benefits of lifelong learning. EQAP seeks to promote the following core values within the context of SPC’s corporate values:
- a culture of quality;
- a culture of continuous improvement;
- cultural and political sensitivity;
- respect for the autonomy and priorities of the education system in each Pacific Island country and territory (PICT); and
- assimilation of the expressed needs of countries in its delivery of technical services.
The Curriculum and Assessment section within EQAP comprises professional experts in the areas of curriculum review and curriculum development and assessment tools development. The section is also responsible for the implementation of the regional Year 13 South Pacific Form Seven Certificate (SPFSC) qualification. The key outcome of the EQAP Business Plan for this section is the increase and improvement of student achievement against the curricula.
The Programme Assistant (Curriculum and Assessment) will manage and monitor administrative responsibilities that contribute to successful achievement of outcomes under the Curriculum and Assessment section, through direct support of professional services provided by the Professional Officers, the EQAP Director, the Principal Advisor and the Admin and Finance teams of EQAP.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Data verification and quality assurance
- Process management
- Administrative Support
- Financial Operations support
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided.
Key selection criteria
- A relevant diploma in administration, management, business studies, communications, or office management from a recognised tertiary institution
Knowledge and experience
- At least 3 years of experience working in the area of administration and/or management preferably in an area of education
- Experience in analyzing and synthesizing information for meaningful reporting
- Knowledge and competency of advanced information technology tools, including word processing, spreadsheets, power point presentations and databases
- Excellent verbal and written presentation skills
- Proven record of efficiency, attention to details and accuracy in carrying out all duties
- Experience in negotiating with adults from different ethnic, cultural and educational backgrounds
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – 3 years
Remuneration – This is a full-time position at Band 6 in SPC’s 2021 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of FJD 1,846-2,308 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Recruitment principles - SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilingualism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander.
Closing Date – 13 May 2021 until 11:45pm Fiji time
Applicants must apply online.
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
To be considered for this role, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. These documents may be requested at a later stage.
Please ensure that you respond to all of the screening questions. If you do not respond to the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
JD Program Assistant - Curriculum and Assessment.pdf
- How would you use technology tools such as MS Excel and MS Access to accurately track multiple correspondence and following up on responses?
- What are some of the challenges you could face managing large volumes of data from multiple data sources?
- When you were organising or attending a large event, did you perceive if the event was successful? If so, how did you know? Is there anything that you would have done or suggest to do differently?