- Suva-based position (Fiji)
- Attractive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the Pacific region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Strategy, Performance & Learning (SPL) unit is a specialized unit within the Office of the Director-General, with responsibilities for co-developing SPC Strategic Plan and the necessary methodology, capability and practice for monitoring and reporting against the Strategic Plan. SPL has staff based at our headquarters in Noumea, as well as our regional office in Suva. We provide whole of organization service (Secretariat and member) through: i) Strategy and Planning; ii) Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning; iii) Programming and Design. Our work is focused on creating the conditions for change, grounded in contextually relevant and culturally responsive practice.
The Office Coordinator will support the Strategy Performance & Learning Division in meeting their operational objectives, implementing budget and administrative procedures, and contributing to transforming institutional effectiveness as part of implementing the SPC Strategic Plan 2022- 2031. The incumbent will help engage and maintain positive relationships and excellent customer service including peers in national foreign affairs departments and Committee of Representatives of Governments and Administrations (CRGA) Subcommittee member, and other SPC offices on matters related to all SPL engagement and services. The key responsibilities of the role include:
Improves business functionality to align with SPLs core business objectives ensuring compliance with SPC policies
- Manages all core and project-related operational matters including, SPC’s business functions - human resources, general administration, office management, and logistics in line with SPC policies and procedures
- Execute office administration activities such as drafting correspondence and liaison with foreign affairs focal points;
- Undertakes all human resource actions including recruiting and onboarding of new hires in accordance with SPC processes, maintaining records for each employee, organizing for IT and other services
Supports the office of the Director SPL by implementing improved operational procedures, including tracking of operational costs to ensure the delivery of activities and intended outcomes of SPL work plan
- Coordinate all aspects of SPL meetings and workshops (for example, promotion, venue, catering, signage and displays, travel, teleconference, audio visual equipment, interpretation, printing)
- Coordinates all procurement and contracting of services and goods purchased by SPL including drafting solicitation documents, releasing RFQs/RFPs, evaluating bids, preparing evaluation memos, preparing purchasing request forms and contract requisition forms, provide inputs (market research, work history, competitor analysis) for salary, and or consent to subcontract request as needed and other actions required
- Provide periodic reports to SPL staff on budget execution updates
Provide logistics and financial support including the administration of all SPC’s Operation Management policies, training, and reviews as required
- Provide logistics for a) travel arrangements for SPL staff and any short-term consultant including hotel reservations, airport transfers, visas, etc.; b) meeting support such as preparing agendas, taking and distributing meeting minutes, and following up on action items, c) supporting SPL in organizing project meetings, workshops and other special events, and d) coordinating local travel
- Organise travel arrangements and process acquittals for SPL staff, consultants and others, ensuring compliance with the SPC Travel Policy and Travel Management System
- Request quotes from vendors and ensure compliance to the SPC Procurement Policy
Analyze and maintain operational data, including the monitoring of SPL purchases, stock, equipment inventories, registers and conduct risk and preventative maintenance checks and audits regularly
- Support the management of information (hard and e-copy) for all financial related information
- Work closely with the Publications and Translation teams on the production of CRGA official correspondence and papers
- Analyse the success of the logistical arrangements of the workshop, using post-CRGA Subcommittee surveys and member feedback.
Ensure positive SPL member, client (supplier, vendor), and staff relationship, resolving operational and Health & Safety concerns and issues as they arise
- Serve as focal point with foreign affairs administration, supporting the positive working relationship between the SPL office and foreign affairs administration offices.
- Serve as SPL Health & safety focal point complying with SPCs Duty of Care standards and maintaining the SPL emergency contact rosters and phone tree.
- Serve as primary point of contact and liaise with local vendors, including a) catering, b) printing c) stationery d) merchandise and others as needed
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Degree in Business Administration/Finance/Event Management or equivalent work experience that is both relevant and current
Knowledge and experience
- At least 5 years-experience in a related field of work, for example, in finance, administration, procurement and event management
- Demonstrated experience managing budgets with a good understanding of performance and planning processes
- Demonstrated capacity to organise high level meetings and workshops efficiently and effectively
- Strong PC based computer skills, preferably with Microsoft Programmes (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Good communication skills, including excellent written English and the ability to write for and to a variety of stakeholder groups
- Demonstrated capacity to work in a team of people from different technical skills and cultural backgrounds
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written) with a working knowledge of French being an advantage
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – 3 years – subject to renewal depending on funding and performance
Due to the current travel restrictions caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic, and the priority SPC places on its staff safety, health and well-being, please note that there may be delays in taking up the appointment. These matters will be discussed thoroughly with successful candidates. In most cases, any appointment and on-boarding would only commence when relocation to the duty station is permitted.
Remuneration – The Office Coordinator is a band 8 position in SPC’s 2022 salary scale, with a starting salary range of 1,994‒2,493 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately FJD 5,883–7,354 (USD 2,852–3,565; EUR 2,393–2,991). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews. Remuneration of expatriate SPC staff members is not subject to income tax in Fiji; Fiji nationals employed by SPC in Fiji will be subject to income tax.
Benefits for international employees based in Fiji – SPC provides a housing allowance of FJD 1,350–3,000 per month. Establishment and repatriation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave travel, health and life and disability insurances and education allowances are available for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 working days of annual leave per annum and other types of leave, and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8% of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Closing Date: 5 December 2022 at 11:59pm (Fiji time)
Job Reference: JR000085
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
For international staff in Fiji, only one foreign national per family can be employed with an entity operating in Fiji at any one given time. SPC may assist on a case-by-case basis with submissions to Fiji Ministry of Foreign Affairs for their consideration and final approval. SPC cannot and does not make any guarantee whatsoever of approval for such applications to Fiji Ministry of Foreign Affairs and where an application is approved, the spouse or partner will subject to such terms and conditions as may be set from time to time by the Ministry.
Screening Questions (maximum of 2,000 characters per question):
- Please provide examples of improvements to business systems or functions you have been involved in, including your role in the design and or implementation / maintenance.
- What is your approach to coordinating multiple workstreams and managing a positive office work environment
- What do you believe are key aspects to managing relationships with stakeholders, both internal to the organisation and external? Please provide an example of how you practice these aspects.