- Noumea-based position
- Attractive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides corporate services to all SPC Divisions and Programmes. It consists of three key departments: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The role – the IT Security & Risk Specialist will be provide a key support function to the areas of governance, IT and cyber security risk, continuity, compliance, conformance, and ensuring staff are aware of topical security considerations. The role will encompass system administration capabilities with a core focus around IT security to the organisation.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Identify and mitigate ICT security and operational risks (within known resource constraints) of SPC systems and networks
- Assist in the establishment and maintenance of security, integrity and business continuity controls and documentation.
- Ensure regular updating and testing of disaster recovery procedures.
- Ensure there are risk mitigation strategies in place for all IT infrastructure/systems, ensuring business continuity in the event of a disaster.
- Administration and Support of SPC ICT Systems
- Provide operational support, monitoring and management of all ICT systems (desktop environment, server, networking, and storage infrastructure).
- Perform regular maintenance, routine backups, and disaster recovery procedures.
- Establish and maintain security, integrity and business continuity controls and documentation
- Monitor the corporate ICT helpdesk to identify emerging issues
- Administer the supplier compliance with terms of contracts
- Technical leadership in ICT systems infrastructure related disciplines
- Participate in the development, preparation and delivery of training opportunities to enhance the knowledge and efficiency of SPC ICT Technical staff.
- Provide specialist knowledge relating to ICT with key internal and external stakeholders to maintain existing systems and ICT infrastructure
- Perform review, build and testing of technology solutions
- Defines scope, plans and produces deliverables for assigned projects.
- Identifies and documents detailed business and system requirements for assigned projects. Collaborates with senior ICT staff to ensure plans and identified solutions meet needs and expectations.
- Participate in the development and use of endorsed SPC project guidelines and standards, and apply those techniques to manage, implement and deploy approved ICT infrastructure projects.
- Ensure that supporting processes are documented and stored in a central location.
- Implementation and Optimization of ICT systems
- Implements approved ICT solution designs.
- Performs analysis and review of implemented systems and develops, tests, and implements performance tuning and optimization.
- Design, develop, test, and implement systems management tools and automation tools which enable efficiencies in operational support of ICT infrastructure systems.
- Ensure that process documentation is current.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Specialized degree in computer science, IT or related field with a security related focus.
- Technical expertise
- At least 4 years’ experience managing the enforcement of security and monitoring of corporate systems and networks
- At least 4 years’ experience in the use of corporate system backup and recovery solutions.
- At least 4 years’ experience with Microsoft office 365 as an administrator
- At least 4 years’ experience in medium-sized LAN and WAN environments running Microsoft Windows Server technologies, IIS, System Centre, AD as well as Linux Servers (Ubuntu, CentOS).
- Proven work experience with an ITSM solution, experience with ServiceNow a plus
- Proven work experience with Microsoft Windows 10 desktop, Linux (CentOS/Ubuntu), and Mac OS X operating systems
- Practical work experience in ICT Security and Identity Management platforms (Okta)
- Practical work experience in the installation, configuration and deployment of network routers and switches (Cisco, HP)
- Demonstrated ability in the provision of user training and support, particularly for SPC standard office automation and customised applications.
- Language skills
- Excellent command of English or French.
- Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This vacant position is budgeted for 3 years and is subject to renewal depending on funding and performance.
Due to the current travel restrictions caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic, and the priority SPC places on its staff safety, health and well-being, please note that there may be delays in taking up the appointment. These matters will be discussed thoroughly with successful candidates. In most cases, any appointment and on-boarding would only commence when relocation to the duty station is permitted.
Remuneration – the IT Security & Risk Specialist is a band 10 position in SPC’s 2021 salary scale, with a starting salary range of SDR (special drawing rights) 3,490-4,267 per month, which converts to approximately XPF 510,921-624,563 (USD 4,852-5,931; EUR 4,282-5,234). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale is based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia – SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and repatriation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave travel, health and life and disability insurances and education allowances are available for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 working days of annual leave per annum and other types of leave, and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8 % of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilinguism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will begiven to the Pacific Islander. Applicants will be assured of complete confidentiality in line with SPC’s private policy.
Closing date: 1 June 2021 – 11:00 pm (Noumea time)
Job Reference: SH000056
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
All positions at SPC have specific screening questions. If you do not respond to all of the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Screening questions (maximum of 2.000 characters per question):
JD_IT Security & Risk Specialist.docx
- Please describe your ICT related security experience in particular your work around securing networks and systems.
- What do you do to maintain your technical certifications?
- You have been asked to research a new business service or tool. You find two solutions. One is an on-premises solution; the other is a cloud-based solution. Presuming they are functionally the same, why would you recommend one over the other?
- Describe your level of experience in using routers, switches, and firewalls, preferably in an enterprise environment.