- Noumea, New Caledonia or Suva, Fiji based position
- Competitive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides corporate services to all SPC Divisions and Programmes. It consists of three key departments: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The ICT Service Manager will manage and oversee SPC’s ICT service delivery and IT Infrastructure across all SPC sites. This includes playing an integral role in overseeing the operations of the organizations Service Desk by ensuring optimal service levels through building strong and motivated teams. The Manager will be responsible for managing the customer service relationship with internal and external stakeholders and ensuring the Service Team meets its delivery and reporting obligations.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
Manage and operate the SPC Service Management platform, the ICT Service Desk, provide high quality ICT services, and identify and mitigate ICT issues
- Enable the delivery of corporate ICT services by managing resources, communications and customer expectations and ensure that the right capacity is provided to customers at the right time.
- Ensure that incident and service availability are managed successfully within the designated delivery parameters.
- Ensure end user satisfaction with ICT service delivery.
- Report on any escalations and manage exceptions including communications with key stakeholders the SLA variances and status.
Provide leadership that ensures effective service delivery of ICT services in all SPC locations
- Manage and supervise staff to achieve objectives and to create an environment that promotes high performance, collaboration, staff development and succession planning.
- Ensure that the ICT service team manage workload and priorities across all SPC locations.
- Build a harmonious and energized work culture.
- Develop support strategies to improve customer satisfaction.
Assist in the management of client relationships for all ICT services
- Develop support strategies to improve customer satisfaction.
- Ensure client needs are well understood and catered for.
- Identify and act upon opportunities for training clients to reduce the burden on ICT services.
- Manage client expectations, and appropriately prioritize workload.
Implement system and process improvements with other OMD Managers and teams across SPC
- Provide service update reporting to ICT Manager as required.
- Work closely with ICT Manager and CTO on technology choices.
- Identify and act upon opportunities for synergies and systems improvements via ServiceNow.
- Coordinate ICT support during conferences and other events across teams.
Support the ICT Full Cost Recovery model and ensure that the ICT services are financially sustainable, well managed and cost recovered as appropriate
- Execute, implement and maintain the full cost recovery business model for ICT services.
- Manage and replace client equipment as needed.
- Deliver successful projects without cost or effort overruns.
- Refresh ICT equipment through bulk orders, within agreed cycles.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a relevant field, or equivalent vocational certificates and work experience that is relevant and current.
- At least 10 years of experience, with 6 years of experience in managing a comprehensive ICT service department for a medium sized organisation, preferably in multiple locations.
- Practical experience in the delivery and execution of ICT Managed services including audio visual services.
- Demonstrated ability to manage ICT staff and projects.
- Experience in the management and operation of ITSM framework in particular ITIL.
- Skilled in the delivery of Service Strategy and Service Design activities in relation to ServiceNow.
- Ability to work collaboratively and across teams to achieve systems improvements.
- Excellent English communication and negotiation skills (oral and written).
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Experience in building and maintaining effective working relationships with a range of different individuals and organisations.
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment.
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – Until 30 November 2026 – subject to renewal depending on funding and performance.
Remuneration – The ICT Service Manager is a Band 12 position in SPC’s 2023 salary scale.
For a Noumea based position a starting salary range of SDR (special drawing rights) 4,792-5,894, which converts to approximately XPF 725,912-892,813 (USD 6,421–7,898; EUR 6,083–7,482). SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
For a Suva based position, a starting salary range of 3,565‒4,456 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately FJD 10,516–13,146 (USD 4,777–5,971; EUR 4,525–5,657). Remuneration of expatriate SPC staff members is not subject to income tax in Fiji; Fiji nationals employed by SPC in Fiji will be subject to income tax.
An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Benefits for international employees – SPC provides a housing allowance (or subsidized housing allowance in Noumea). Establishment and repatriation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave travel, health and life and disability insurances and education allowances are available for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 working days of annual leave per annum and other types of leave, and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8% of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Closing Date: 8 October 2023 at 11:59pm (Fiji time)
Job Reference: JM000490
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
For international staff in Fiji, only one foreign national per family can be employed with an entity operating in Fiji at any one given time. SPC may assist on a case-by-case basis with submissions to Fiji Ministry of Foreign Affairs for their consideration and final approval. SPC cannot and does not make any guarantee whatsoever of approval for such applications to Fiji Ministry of Foreign Affairs and where an application is approved, the spouse or partner will subject to such terms and conditions as may be set from time to time by the Ministry.
SPC does not charge a fee to consider your application and will never ask for your banking or financial information during the recruitment process.
Screening Questions (maximum of 2,000 characters per question):
- Please describe your experience with (2) examples any involvement you have had with a major ITIL-based ITSM solution (e.g., ServiceNow) and any service improvement project you have worked on.
- Describe your level of experience in managing and collaborating with a mid-sized technical team (between 10 and 20 staff) who come with different levels of skills and experience in a geographically dispersed environment.
- Describe your experience with (2) examples how you have engaged your customers in (1) adopting new technology and (2) adapting to change in this fast-paced technological world.