- Noumea-based position
- Attractive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides corporate services to all SPC Divisions and Programmes. It consists of three key departments: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The role – the Human Resources Manager (Recruitment) will be responsible for overseeing and effectively managing all recruitment related matters and operations in SPC. He/she will design, develop, and implement relevant talent acquisition strategies and subsequent workplan to respond effectively to SPC needs and footprint. She/he will provide support and guidance to all hiring managers by streamlining talent acquisition processes and delivering high quality, strategic and cost-effective recruitment solutions for all locations.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
Management and accountability for the SPC recruitment section
- Lead, consult, design, implement, and enhance SPC recruitment strategy.
- Streamline talent acquisition processes and deliver high quality, strategic and cost-effective recruitment solutions in all locations.
- Work closely with key stakeholders and hiring managers to proactively support and facilitate timely recruitment.
- Analyze recruitment trends and contribute to the development of remuneration and other HR policies.
- Ensure continuous improvement approach to maintaining SPC’s recruitment management system.
- Develop relationships with third party providers to optimize sourcing talent, succession planning and methods for determining candidate suitability.
- Manage the recruitment process and life cycle of a vast geographical & technical portfolio from inception to completion.
- Identify and source appropriate talent pipeline.
- With reference to remuneration policy and local market, determine appropriate salary level at offer stage.
- Meet regularly with division Directors/Management and other relevant SPC staff to provide sound advice.
- Develop in consultation with the recruitment team, work plans for HR project initiatives and action plans to ensure successful delivery.
- Ensure recruitment provides regular analytical reporting to the organization to assist in people related initiatives.
- Manage all contract negotiation & related invoicing linked to the Recruitment Team Activities.
- Ensure a high-quality customer service is being delivered to hiring managers, panel members and applicants in all locations.
- Manage and coordinate resources effectively and efficiently between Headquarters & Regional Offices.
- Manage staff performance and development.
HR Projects and deliverables
- Support actively HRD and contribute to the HR department’s strategic planning process.
- Support HRD in coordinating key HRM, deliverables and inputs of the Senior HR Team.
- Support the Implementation of HR projects.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Post-graduate degree in a relevant field such as human resource management, public or international business administration.
- At least 10 - 12 years’ experience with strong emphasis on recruitment, including more than 5 years at international level.
- At least 5 years of experience managing staff including mentoring, developing, training, appraisal, and performance management.
- Demonstrated ability to implement talent acquisition strategies and to contribute to the streamlining and automation of recruitment processes in fast paced environment.
- Ability to guide, support and coach hiring managers in effective recruitment processes.
- Proven experience in behavioural interviewing techniques.
- Ability to liaise with staff at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent command of both English & French with excellent verbal and written communication and people skills for effective communication.
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and inclusive environment.
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This vacant position is budgeted for 3 years and is subject to renewal depending on funding and performance.
Remuneration – the Human Resources Manager (Recruitment) is a band 12 position in SPC’s 2023 salary scale, with a starting salary range of SDR (special drawing rights) 4,792-5,894 per month, which converts to approximately XPF 725,912-892,813 (USD 6,421-7,898; EUR 6,083-7,482). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale is based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia – SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and repatriation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave travel, health and life and disability insurances and education allowances are available for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 working days of annual leave per annum and other types of leave, and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8 % of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilinguism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will begiven to the Pacific Islander. Applicants will be assured of complete confidentiality in line with SPC’s private policy.
Closing date: 11 June 2023 – 11:00 pm (Noumea time)
Job Reference: SS000001
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
SPC does not charge a fee to consider your application and will never ask for your banking or financial information during the recruitment process.
Screening questions (maximum of 2,000 characters per question):
- Please provide an overview of a significant sourcing strategy that you developed and implemented in the Pacific. What was your role and what was the outcome?
- Please tell us about one of the most complex recruitment challenges that you had to deal with. What was the outcome and what was the value-add of your contributions?
- Please provide us with a recent E-Recruitment systems major issue you had to solve and what are the key factors that you highlight as best practice.