- Noumea based position
- Attractive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides corporate services to all SPC Divisions and Programmes. It consists of three key departments: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The role – the Facilities Manager will manage all SPC facilities and assets and insurance coverage for SPC in all locations (excl. Fiji).
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
Leadership of the Facilities team
- Provide leadership of the Facilities team that ensures effective management of SPC Facilities and SPC’s assets in compliance with SPC’s Assets and Small value Items Policy
Planning and managing all SPC’s properties and infrastructure
- Develop, plan and manage all SPC’s properties and infrastructure, including construction works and support facilities to ensure effective day to day operations, maintenance, occupational health and safety and security services meet the expectations of both internal and external stakeholders
Implement a financially sustainable business model
- Implement a financial business model that ensures SPC property investments are financially sustainable, well managed and meet internal rate of return (IRR) targets as determined by the DDG-(O&E)
Ensure optimal use of office space and a safe working environment
- Work with stakeholders to determine office space requirements to ensure optimal use and to create a safe and cost-effective environment for the effective operations of the occupying unit
Manage cost recoveries and budgets
- Manage facilities cost recoveries and budget to ensure the recoveries adequately cover the cost of maintaining the properties and periodic major refurbishment works, also managing related services and projects, in accordance with legal requirements, SPC service standards, SPC policies
Manage Staff accommodation
- Manage staff accommodation, including allocation and chattels
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in facilities management and/or any technical and/or legal relevant fields
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience managing and overseeing the routine and non-routine maintenance and repair of large commercial and residential buildings and/or an inventory of multiple properties which require maintenance of: the grounds, HVAC systems, plumbing, mechanical and electrical systems, elevators, automated voltage regulator systems, uninterrupted power supply equipment generators, and the structural aspects of buildings
- Demonstrated skills in services management in a complex environment which includes facilities management, financial management and commercial property services to achieve strategic outcomes
- Excellent business and financial acumen with the proven ability to provide effective operational management to achieve agreed performance targets and deliver quality customer service
- Experience in operating facilities and assets on a full cost recovery model
- Demonstrated knowledge of contemporary asset management strategies and practices
- Ability to do construction project costing
- Specialist knowledge of and experience in applying key property legislation and relevant standards
- Excellent leadership, change management and staff management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with contractors on technical aspects of building
- Highly developed written and oral and negotiation skills
- Fluency in English and French.
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This vacant position is budgeted for 3 years and is subject to renewal depending on funding and performance.
Due to the current travel restrictions caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic, and the priority SPC places on its staff safety, health and well-being, please note that there may be delays in taking up the appointment. These matters will be discussed thoroughly with successful candidates. In most cases, any appointment and on-boarding would only commence when relocation to the duty station is permitted.
Remuneration – the Facilities Manager is a band 10 position in SPC’s 2022 salary scale, with a starting salary range of SDR (special drawing rights) 3,490-4,267 per month, which converts to approximately XPF 499,822-610,995 (USD 4,991-6,101; EUR 4,189-5,120). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale is based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia – SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and repatriation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave travel, health and life and disability insurances and education allowances are available for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 working days of annual leave per annum and other types of leave, and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8 % of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilinguism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will begiven to the Pacific Islander. Applicants will be assured of complete confidentiality in line with SPC’s private policy.
Closing date: 4 September 2022 – 11:00 pm (Noumea time)
Job Reference: AL000491
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference.
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Screening questions (maximum of 2,000 characters per question):
- Please provide examples of construction and maintenance projects you have managed. Highlight what challenges you faced in project management, and what you did to overcome these challenges.
- What do you consider are the keys to the successful management of facilities and assets in an organisation such as SPC which has different stakeholders across multiple locations?
- What is your level of experience handling finance-related tasks such as multi-year investment plans, budgets, treasury? Please provide amounts, tools used and detail your specific role.