- Attractive local package
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Join the principal development organisation in the Pacific region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The vision of the Educational Quality and Assessment Programme (EQAP) is to be ‘The agency for educational quality in the Pacific region’. Its mission is to enhance the quality of education and training for Pacific learners, so they realize the benefits of lifelong learning. EQAP seeks to promote the following core values within the context of SPC’s corporate values:
- a culture of quality;
- a culture of continuous improvement;
- cultural and political sensitivity;
- respect for the autonomy and priorities of the education system in each Pacific Island country and territory (PICTs); and
- assimilation of the expressed needs of countries in its delivery of technical services.
The Education Research Assistant will provide specialized support in research, insofar as carrying out supervised research and evaluation of educational assessment practices and policy initiatives influencing the quality of education in the Pacific Islands region in accordance with EQAP Business Plan 2023-26.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Assist in the development design, and implementation of research studies by each Team within EQAP
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of collaborative research studies involving EQAP and member countries, EQAP and other SPC divisions and EQAP with international research agencies.
- Assist countries identify, coordinate, and administer training and staff development needs on research
- Provide key research training for educational personnel and stakeholders in the countries
- Coordinate and manage the flow of communication on technical and advisory support in national research initiatives
- Support the facilitation and coordination of research forums among member countries to share research findings and best practices
- Communicate with country focal points responsible for research
- Manage internal/external QA communication
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as research and policy, research data analysis or business management/commerce from a recognized institution or equivalent work experience
Knowledge and experience
- At least six years of experience working in education with at least three of those years of experience in conducting educational research
- Experience using sound knowledge of educational assessment research methods
- Analysing and synthesising information for meaningful reporting
- Proven verbal and written presentation and communications skills in English
- Proven record of punctuality and commitment to the work through good record of attendance at the workplace and related professional activities
- Proven record of efficiency, attention to details and accuracy in carrying out all duties
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – 3 years – subject to renewal depending on funding and performance
Remuneration – The Education Research Assistant is a Band 7 position in SPC’s 2022 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of 2,232-2,790 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilingualism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander.
Closing Date – 29 September 2022 at 11:59pm (Fiji time)
Job Reference: JR000074
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
SPC does not charge a fee to consider your application and will never ask for your banking or financial information during the recruitment process.
Screening Questions (maximum of 2,000 characters per question):
- Discuss your experience having assisted (or lead) in designing and carrying out a research project (either a qualitative or a quantitative or mixed-methods research) that you were part of the implementation and how this project lead to solving and alleviating a pre-existing problem.
- How would you use technology tools such as MS Excel and MS Access to accurately track multiple correspondence and following up on responses?
- What are some of the challenges you could face managing large volumes of data from multiple data sources?