- Attractive local package
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Join the principal development organisation in the Pacific region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides corporate services to all SPC Divisions and Programmes. It consists of three key departments: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The Human Rights and Social Development (HRSD) Division has a vision for just, equitable and resilient Pacific societies. It aims to achieve this by advancing human rights, good governance, gender quality and social inclusion for all Pacific people, grounded in cultural values and principles.
The Cleaner will carry out cleaning in all SPC facilities.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
Cleaning and housekeeping services
- Maintain a high standard of cleanliness in all SPC buildings and facilities
- Report maintenance or OHS issues in a timely manner
- Oversee the external support cleaner onsite to ensure a high standard of cleanliness within their allocated buildings or facility is maintained
Manage cleaning equipment and orders
- Clean equipment and machines after use and provide timely reporting of equipment malfunction
- Ensure proper storage of equipment and machines
Supply and monitoring of materials and products
- Methodically store cleaning products and materials
- Conduct a daily inventory of stock and ensure inventory is properly recorded and managed with timely replenishment
- Make requests for quotes or receive stock from suppliers as required
Event support and other duties
- Set up of meeting and social function venues and provide guidance as required
- Prepare refreshments for visitors and meetings as required (applicable to Executive Functions only)
- Assist in other duties as and when required
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided.
Key selection criteria
- TVET certificate in hospitality including modules in residential and training operations management (housekeeping focus) and OHS and/or two (2) years of experience in a similar position
- Proven relevant work experience in housekeeping operations and management
- Proven cleaning and OHS knowledge and experience
- Proven stock management skills
- Working knowledge of the use of cleanliness and hygiene products as well as the different rules that fall to the profession
- Working knowledge of the handling of cleanliness and hygiene equipment
- Good English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – Until 16 October 2026 and is subject to renewal depending on funding and performance.
Remuneration – The Cleaner is a Band 3 position in SPC’s 2023 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of 1,072-1,341 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilingualism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander.
Closing Date – 27 September 2023 at 11:59pm (Fiji time)
Job Reference: MC000046
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
SPC does not charge a fee to consider your application and will never ask for your banking or financial information during the recruitment process.
Screening Questions (maximum of 2,000 characters per question):
- Do you have prior experience performing cleaning duties in an office environment?
- Do you have prior experience with sensitive documentation disposal and confidential information management?