- Headquarters-based position (Noumea, New Caledonia)
- A collaborative environment
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) is managed from SPC’s headquarters in Noumea, New Caledonia, and provides corporate services to all SPC divisions and programmes. It consists of three key teams: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management so as to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The role – The Translator / Reviser (French) provides translation and revision services (English into French) and act as a resource person on translation and terminology tools, to enable the SPC to operate as a bilingual organisation, in accordance with its mandate, and to stimulate knowledge flows.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Produce translations and self-revised translations from English into French in a wide range of technical and scientific areas, as well as dealing with general SPC materials which may be highly sensitive and complex
- Work in close collaboration with colleagues to ensure consistency and quality
- Abide by the principles of professional ethics and confidentiality
- Exercise quality control over the translations produced by staff and freelance translators to provide support to the Reviser
- Stand in for the French Reviser in coordinating workflow when required
- Act as one of the Section’s main resource persons in maintaining and managing translation and terminology tools (MultiTrans and SDL Trados in particular); assess hardware and software needs and prepare/update guides for the administration and use of translation and terminology tools
- Reporting in the first instance to the French Reviser, advise on the acquisition, deployment and maintenance of translation technologies within the Section
- Coach colleagues and freelances on the efficient use of translation technologies
- Provide translation services during conferences and take part in drafting committee meetings
- Prepare reference documents and translation tools before the meetings
- Contribute accurate and consistent terminology to the Section’s internal database
- Respond to requests for terminological information from SPC or other organisations
- Assist in the management of terminology projects and tools
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- University degree in translation or related area
- At least 5 years of professional experience as a translator and 2 years as a reviser in an international or government organization, or as a freelance translator working mainly with international organisations
- Very good knowledge of translation technologies
- Broad general knowledge and thorough understanding of a wide range of technical and scientific subjects in both languages
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure
- Ability and willingness to learn and adapt to new technologies and methodologies
- First language-level French, very good command of English
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Good interpersonal skills and good at working to deadlines,
- A team player, with the ability to network and work effectively in a multicultural setting,
- Cultural sensitivity and a demonstrated understanding of developing country environments,
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Required start date – from January 2019
Contract Duration – This position is budgeted for three years and is subject to renewal depending on performance and funding.
Remuneration – The Translator / Reviser (French) is a Band 10 position in SPC’s 2018 salary scale, with a starting salary range of 3,415–4,172 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately XPF 503,864–615,627 (USD 4,712–5,757; EUR 4,222–5,159). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia – SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and relocation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave, medical and life insurance, and education allowance are available for eligible employees and their recognised dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 days of annual leave and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8% of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Equal opportunity – SPC is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment is based entirely on merit; in cases where two short-listed candidates are judged to be of equal rank by the selection committee, preference will be given to Pacific Island nationals.
Child protection – SPC is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. SPC’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Police clearance – Successful candidates will be required to provide a police clearance certificate.
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Closing date: 10th of October 2018
Job Reference: AL000100
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
All positions at SPC have specific screening questions. If you do not respond to all of the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
What is your approach to revising?
How proficient are you in CAT-tools?
How to maintain good client service within a multi-function job?
http://spc.turborecruit.com.au/position_description/773/Final_JD-Translator (French) - August2018.docx