- Suva-based position (Fiji)
- Attractive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the Pacific region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides corporate services to all SPC Divisions and Programmes. It consists of three key departments: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The role – the Senior Internal Auditor will be responsible for the following key responsibilities:
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge and understanding of the technical aspects of the internal audit profession and function ;
- Execute internal audit activities to a high technical standard ;
- Keep abreast of changes in the profession and industry best practice ;
- Assess and take into account the latest global macroeconomic and microeconomic factors and impacts upon the organisation, and provide advice to the Head of Internal Audit on the assessment ;
- Maintain a current understanding of the organisational framework within which the SPC operates, the divisional teams and their business requirements.
Risk based audit activities
- Contribute effectively to the development of the internal audit work program, including providing advice to the Head of Internal Audit on areas of risk ;
- Plan individual audit activities for the execution of audits, and execute those audits in an effective and efficient manner ;
- Write reports on the completion of audits with practical and reasonable recommendations to address internal control deficiencies ;
- Work closely with the organisational departments responsible for effecting audit recommendations, to ensure they understand and implement them ;
- Work closely with the Head of Internal Audit to ensure the risk register and the audit register is kept up to date ;
- Work collaboratively with the outsourced internal auditors in executing audit activities ;
- Undertake special assignments or investigations as may be directed by the Head of Internal Audit.
KPIs and Reporting
- Perform reporting against KPIs for the ARC and for the DG in accordance with instructions from the Head of Internal Audit ;
- Perform any follow-up activities related to the KPIs as may be requested ;
- Provide secretariat services to the ARC ;
- Contribute to the development of a quality assessment and improvement program, and participate actively in such a program as the Head of Internal Audit requires.
Strategic Communications and Relationship Building
- Communicate audit issues, areas of risk and plans to address those issues and risk to various parts of the organisation in an effective manner ;
- Develop effective working relationships with key partners in the organisation, including both corporate and divisional finance staff ;
- Ensure all audit relationships and work is undertaken in an ethical manner and with integrity.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Advanced university degree in accounting, financial or business or financial management ;
- Professional qualification in internal auditing (CIA or equivalent).
- Have at least 7 years of experience in audit ;
- Strong client focus with high level of responsiveness and demonstrated performance in delivering outputs.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills for effective communication in English.
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a collaborative, inclusive mindset and leadership ;
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness, and the ability to effectively work with team members from different cultural backgrounds ;
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This position is budgeted for three years and is subject to renewal depending on performance and funding.
Remuneration – the Senior Internal Auditor is a Band 10 position in SPC’s 2019 salary scale, with a starting salary range of 2,451–3,063 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately FJD 7,229–9,037 (USD 3,480–4,350; EUR 2,934–3,667). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews. Remuneration of expatriate SPC staff members is not subject to income tax in Fiji; Fiji nationals employed by SPC in Fiji will be subject to income tax.
Benefits for international employees based in Fiji – SPC provides a housing allowance of FJD 1,230–2,750 per month. Establishment and relocation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave, medical and life insurance and education allowances are available for eligible employees and their recognised dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 days of annual leave and 30 days of sick leave per annum, and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8% of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Equal opportunity – SPC is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment is based entirely on merit; in cases where two short-listed candidates are judged to be of equal rank by the selection committee, preference will be given to Pacific Island nationals.
Child protection – SPC is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. SPC’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Police clearance – Successful candidates will be required to provide a police clearance certificate.
Closing date: 2 February 2020
Job Reference: CB000150
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume
- contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. These documents may be requested at a later stage.
For international staff in Fiji, only one foreign national per family can be employed with an entity operating in Fiji at any one given time. The Pacific Community does not support dual spouse employment.
Please ensure that you respond to all the screening questions. If you do not respond to the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Please respond to the following by providing supporting materials as part of your application (attach documents):
JD - Senior Internal Auditor.docx
- Provide a sample internal audit report on the completion of audit with practical and reasonable recommendations to address internal control deficiencies.
- Provide a sample report of KPIs for the Audit and Risk Committee (ARC) and for the Director General (DG).
- Provide a sample communication of audit issues, areas of risk to various parts of the organization, and plans to address those issues and risks in an effective manner.