- Attractive and competitive local package
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides organisational governance and support to SPC divisions and programmes in areas including administration, finance, human resources, ICT and knowledge management.
The Procurement Assistant will support the Procurement Grants, Risk and Assets (PGRA) Unit including the divisional projects across the organisation to ensure the successful implementation of the procurement plan and the procurement policy.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Support the Divisional Projects with the development and implementation of their Procurement Plan
- Provide pro-active support and briefings to the Divisional Projects for interpretation and compliance of procurement policy requirements to undertake procurement activities
- Support Divisional Projects in developing the documentation for the RFP process and Procurement Committee Evaluation Process
- Assist with the update of the contract register including the provision of timely reminders to Divisions on their contract status
- Assist the PGRA team with implementation of corporate projects and process and system improvements.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided.
Key selection criteria
- Diploma level qualification in Procurement or Finance related fields
Knowledge and experience
- At least 3 years of relevant experience working for a large or an international organisation
- Experience processing procurement requests, facilitating tender processes and related roles and providing support to Procurement or finance team.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems
- Excellent communication skills required with strong client orientation
- Able to participate effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others
- Demonstrated organisational skills with the ability to prioritise workload and complete work within deadlines
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – Until 31 January 2021
Remuneration – This is a full-time position at Band 6 in SPC’s 2019 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of 1,801-2,251 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
SPC is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. SPC’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child. Successful candidates will be required to provide a police clearance certificate.
Closing Date – 21 November 2019
Applicants must apply online.
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
To be considered for this role, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. These documents may be requested at a later stage.
Please ensure that you respond to all of the screening questions. If you do not respond to the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
JD - Procurement Assistant.pdf
- Define the term ‘Procurement’ and the role of the Procurement Office.
- Can you describe what leads to client satisfaction when dealing with internal clients within SPC.
- Why is it important to ensure that all actions undertaken during a procurement process are ethical and transparent.