- Suva-based position (Fiji)
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Join the principal development organisation in the Pacific region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides organisational governance and support to SPC divisions and programmes in areas including administration, finance, human resources, ICT and knowledge management.
The role – Library Assistant will assist the Senior Library Information Management Assistant at the Suva Library to manually transfer, migrate and catalogue library records and perform ad-hoc library support tasks as requested.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Transferring/migrating/cataloguing all library records manually from ProCite to SPC KOHA library management system
- Processing and the physical management of library records
- Supporting SPC’s Information and Knowledge Management Processes
- Assisting the Senior Information Management Assistant with ad-hoc tasks and administrative duties in the library
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided.
Key selection criteria
- A diploma in Library/Information Management Studies
Knowledge and experience
- 1 year experience in data entry and processing experience in a library or information management environment
- Experience cataloguing in a library of information management environment
- Familiarity with MARC, AACR2, Dewey Decimal Classification and Library of Congress subject heading standards
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office and a networked environment
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – Until 15 September 2021
Remuneration – This is a full-time Band 5 position in SPC’s 2021 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of 1,520-1,901 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Recruitment principles - SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilingualism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander.
Closing Date – 28 February 2021
Applicants must apply online at: http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
To be considered for this role, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. These documents may be requested at a later stage.
Please ensure that you respond to all of the screening questions. If you do not respond to the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
JD_Library Cataloguing Assistant_25012021.docx
- What experience do you have in cataloguing? Please briefly explain.
- Have you worked with or used an Integrated Library Management System (ILS)?
- Are you familiar with international standard library tools like Dewey and Library of Congress Subject Headings? If so, please briefly explain your experience.