- Pohnpei-based position
- Attractive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Micronesia Regional Office (MRO) situated in Kolonia, Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), is the main hub for SPC's projects and partnerships with the Micronesian members of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI), the Republic of Palau, and the United States territories of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), and Guam. The MRO opened in January 2006.
The role – the Implementation Advisor – EU FSM SEAM Project will provide support to the Project Manager in the delivery of European Union (EU) Sustainable Energy and Accompanying Measures Project for the FSM under thematic area 2, Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (REEE). As a member of the Project Management Team (PMT), this individual will have technical knowledge of the energy sector. The Implementation Advisor will also serve as the deputy project manager.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Facilitate the successful implementation of the project as per the Action Outputs and Activities
- Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of overall and annual project work plans, procurement plan, gender integration plans, communication plans, risk strategies, exit and closure strategies.
- Facilitate the overall coordination, development and joint implementation of the monitoring and evaluation framework of the FSM National Energy Policy and Energy Master and States Energy Master plan.
- Assist with the management of all funded services, supplies and equipment in accordance with procurement requirements.
- Support the preparation and timely submission of progress and annual reports and work plans.
- Support the development and presentation of project activities, progress and briefings to national energy working group and energy state working groups, energy sector institutions, and donor representatives.
- Support the cooperation, facilitation, and delivery of stakeholder’s engagement to the successful delivery of the project outcomes
- Support the national focal point, Assistant Secretary for Energy, of the Department of Resources and Development in the review of the energy policy.
- Facilitate and support the adoption of minimum standards and performance for power sector, electrical appliances and vehicles with support from PMT.
- Support the coordination of complementing activities to other projects implemented by other development partners.
- Liaise and work closely with other SPC programmes to develop and implement the project guiding documents.
- Support the PMT in the delivery of Project Steering Committee Meetings and National and State Energy Working Groups.
- Support the strengthening of coordinating responsibilities at the national and state level through policy and legislative review.
- Provide technical assistance to the policy planning, training and technical assessments and implementation of the energy services in selected States
- In collaboration with the FSM Department of Education, FSM College, and other accredited training institutions, seek placements for potential students (degree levels scholarship) to train in energy planning or electrical engineering.
- Coordinate the selection of potential sites from Chuuk lagoon islands for potential investments with support from the PMT, Chuuk Public Utilities Corporation and Chuuk Energy Working Group.
- Support and facilitate the completion of detailed feasibility studies including the social, gender and people centered approach in selected lagoon islands.
- Support and facilitate the procurement of renewable energy services including installations and inspections of works in selected sites.
- Coordinate the delivery of energy services in Yap State.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- A postgraduate degree from a recognised institution in a discipline relevant to project management and implementation, international development, and/or energy.
- Technical expertise
- At least 8 years in a similar project implementation position.
- Understanding of renewable energy, energy efficiency and climate change challenges in the Pacific.
- Demonstrated capability for collaborating and working in an institution with integrated programmes and involving colleagues from different countries and cultures.
- Understanding the FSM policy, legal and institutional arrangements and commitments towards climate change and MDG targets.
- 5 years’ experience in working within a regional or international institutional environment.
- Excellent computer skills across necessary applications.
- Driving license
- Language skills
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
- Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Demonstrated capacity to work with people from different technical skills and cultural backgrounds.
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This vacant position is budgeted for 3 years and is subject to renewal depending on performance and funding.
Due to the current travel restrictions caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic, and the priority SPC places on its staff safety, health and well-being, please note that there may be delays in taking up the appointment. These matters will be discussed thoroughly with successful candidates. In most cases, any appointment and on-boarding would only commence when relocation to the duty station is permitted.
Remuneration – the Implementation Advisor – EU FSM SEAM Project is a Band 10 position in SPC’s 2021 salary scale, with a starting salary range of 3,183–3,913 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately USD 4,424–5,438. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews. Remuneration of expatriate SPC staff members is not subject to income tax in Federated States of Micronesia; Federated States of Micronesia Nationals employed by SPC in Pohnpei will be subject to income tax.
Benefits for international staff employees based in Pohnpei – SPC provides a housing allowance of USD 1,000 USD – 2,000 USD. Establishment and relocation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave, medical and life insurance, and education allowance are available for eligible employees and their recognised dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 days of annual leave and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8% of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is faire, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilinguism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will begiven to the Pacific Islander. Applicants will be assured of complete confidentiality in line with SPC’s private policy.
Closing date: 28 March 2021 – 11:00 pm Pohnpei time
Job Reference: AL000380
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
All positions at SPC have specific screening questions. If you do not respond to all of the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Screening questions (maximum of 2.000 characters per question):
Final_JD Implementation Advisor EU FSM SEAM.docx
- Please share your experiences in project management and what lessons have you learned through those experiences, in particular where it comes to working with remotely based staff and technical work in isolated locations. Please provide specific examples that demonstrate the skills you possess that important to do such work.
- This position will be responsible facilitating Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency initiatives in the FSM. Can you please explain any similar experiences in which you have assisted a developing country / country and what were the results/impacts achieved?
- Can you describe what may be unique or different working in the context of the FSM and how you would address any foreseen challenges?