- Noumea-based position
- Attractive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides corporate services to all SPC Divisions and Programmes. It consists of three key departments: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The role – the ICT Audio Visual Conference Specialist will manage and provide ICT and AV conference service delivery.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Conference Technical Support
- Operate control desk of conference equipment including microphones, recordings, PowerPoint, infra-red and wireless systems ;
- Provide first level technical support to all SPC meetings and conferences hosted at and outside the Noumea Headquarters ;
- Troubleshoot and resolve any conference issues to minimise impact to conference participants ;
- Work with other ICT Team members in other SPC Locations to coach and mentor them for conference support.
- ICT & AV Support
- Ensure all room AV systems are functioning and operational and maintenance is carried out regularly ;
- Ensure all conference broadcast equipment/systems are operational ;
- Assist with ICT support for other basic Skype for Business conferences ;
- Provide ICT Support to end users during periods when there are no conferences ;
- Support other ICT Operations SPC users based in its Suva and Pohnpei offices, and other duties as assigned by the ICT Service Manager.
- Repair, Maintenance & Management of all SPC Interpretation & Conference Equipment
- Support and maintain all equipment for interpretation services used in internal and external conferences, or other SPC locations ;
- Conduct periodical stocktake of conferencing equipment ;
- Coordinating the repair, maintenance and management of conferencing equipment in other SPC Locations.
- Co-coordinating Logistics of Conference Requests including Shipment of Conference Gear for External Conferences
- Supervise the logistics, transfer and security of SPC Conference Equipment when required for external conferences ;
- Responsible for all physical arrangements for meetings, SPC’s Annual Conference meetings and other governance meetings ;
- Liaise with the Event Coordinator on scheduling of conferences and managing the allocation of Conference Equipment for these events.
- Review and analysis of required procurement
- In consultation with relevant parties, obtain quotations for interpretation equipment as required ;
- Analyse quotes and make recommendations and take actions in line with SPC’s procurement policies.
- Continuous Improvement
- Responsible for improvements and extension to conference equipment or any other SPC technical equipment, in consultation with the Interpretation Services and Conference Services areas of SPC ;
- Responsible for improvements and extension to room-based AV equipment.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Specialized Degree or equivalent in a relevant field such as audio-visual engineering, audio production, or equivalent work experience that is both relevant and current in sound re-enforcement.
- Technical expertise
- At least 4 to 6 years of relevant IT work experience in electronics and audio-visual equipment (such as audio amplifiers, speakers, audio cabling, data projectors, interpretation equipment etc) ;
- Demonstrated ability to repair and maintain electronic and / or electrical equipment ;
- Ability to perform basic soldering tasks and repair cables etc and be able to identify common wiring faults ;
- Good work organization experience (allowing for efficient support for conferences and follow-up actions to solve the problem or escalate to other ICT support personnel) ;
- Good work experience with Windows network and database platforms, Windows computing environment, and MS Office application suite.
- Language skills
- Good written and oral knowledge of the French language; working knowledge of the English language; and the ability to work with New Caledonia suppliers of ICT & Conference equipment and services.
- Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a collaborative and inclusive mindset ;
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Required start date – As soon as possible.
Contract duration – This position is budgeted for three years and is subject to renewal depending on performance and funding.
Remuneration – the ICT Audio Visual Conference Specialist is a Band 8 position in SPC’s 2020 salary scale, with a starting salary range of 2,850–3,467 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately XPF 419,768–510,535 (USD 3,933–4,784; EUR 3,518–4,278). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia – SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and relocation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave, medical and life insurance, and education allowance are available for eligible employees and their recognised dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 days of annual leave and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8% of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Equal opportunity – SPC is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment is based entirely on merit; in cases where two short-listed candidates are judged to be of equal rank by the selection committee, preference will be given to Pacific Island nationals.
Child protection – SPC is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. SPC’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Police clearance – Successful candidates will be required to provide a police clearance certificate.
Closing date: 4 March 2020 – 11:50pm New Caledonia time
Job Reference: SH000015
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
All positions at SPC have specific screening questions. If you do not respond to all of the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
- Please describe how you have used Help Desk Systems (for example Service Now) to support your work in organising, arranging quotations, organising logistics and support for:
The ICT Audio Visual Conference Specialist involves a support role which requires the use of various forms of communication and the use of various technical tools. Identify qualities and skills of an ideal ICT Audio and Conference specialist and the reasons why those qualities and skills are required?Describe your level of experience in a similar ICT Audio Visual Conference Specialist role and how you keep yourself abreast with the latest development tools and systems?Final_JD - Audio Visual Conference Specialist.docx
- Onsite conference interpretation request
- Offsite conference interpretation requests