- Noumea-based position
- Attractive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides corporate services to all SPC Divisions and Programmes. It consists of three key departments: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The role – the Head of Internal Audit & Risk will be responsible for strategic leadership in assurance services; risk based audit programming; KPIs and reporting; strategic communications and relationship building.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Strategic leadership in assurance services
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge and understanding of the technical aspects of the internal audit profession and function ;
- Develop SPC’s internal audit Capability Maturity Model and determine and lead the carrying out of the audit activities ;
- Contribute effectively to reaching and maintaining an optimum internal control environment, including IT controls, with an emphasis on risk reduction ;
- Assess and take into account the latest global macroeconomic and microeconomic factors and impacts upon the organization ;
- Maintain a current understanding of the latest global developments and regulatory and legal frameworks within which the SPC operates ;
- Assess and maintain a current understanding of the multi-cultural business environment in the Pacific that SPC operates in ;
- Set the strategic direction of the IA function as it pertains to the strategic mission, vision and plan of the SPC ;
- Demonstrate the ability to identify strategic issues and risks through critical thinking, and offer related advice in a proactive manner to the ARC and management ;
- Set a tone of integrity and unflinching ethics that permeates throughout the IA office. Maintain at all times the independence of the IA office from the functions of management.
- Risk based audit programming
- Maintain the risk register and related risk matrix. Develop audit programs that address areas of risk ;
- Maintain the audit register and ensure follow up audit activities are undertaken to address issues ;
- Manage the work program of the outsourced internal audit service provider ;
- Effectively manage a small team, ensuring their work is performed to a high technical standard, as well as in a manner that maintains the integrity and ethics of the IA office ;
- Ensure all staff maintain professional standards, and keep abreast of changes in the profession and with industry best practices ;
- At the request of the ARC, DG or Finance Director, instigate and lead any special investigations or special assignments.
- KPIs and Reporting
- Develop, in consultation with the ARC and the Director-General, a set of KPIs that are in line with international best practice, for reporting to the ARC and the Director-General ;
- Report in a timely manner to the ARC and the DG as appropriate, on the KPIs ;
- Manage the provision of secretariat services to the ARC ;
- Develop a quality assessment and improvement program and be responsible for its implementation and maintenance.
- Strategic Communications and Relationship Building
- Use effective communication tools at all levels of the organisation, and with key stakeholders to advance the work of the internal audit function ;
- Communicate audit issues, areas of risk and plans to address those issues and risk to various parts of the organisation in an effective manner ;
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships based on trust with the executive, the ARC and the organisation in general.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Advanced university degree (masters or equivalent) in accounting, business or financial management ;
- Professional qualification in internal auditing (CIA or equivalent).
- Technical expertise
- Have at least 14-15 years of progressively responsible experience in internal auditing ;
- Sound experience in leading teams ;
- Strong client focus with high level of responsiveness and demonstrated performance in delivering outputs.
- Language skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills for effective communication in English.
- Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a collaborative, inclusive mindset and leadership ;
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness, and the ability to effectively work with team members from different cultural backgrounds ;
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Required start date – As soon as possible
Contract Duration – This position is budgeted for three years and is subject to renewal depending on performance and funding.
Remuneration – the Head of Internal Audit & Risk is a Band 14 position in SPC’s 2019 salary scale, with a starting salary range of 6,014–7,421 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately XPF 859,157–1,060,195 (USD 8,540–10,538; EUR 7,200–8,884). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia – SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and relocation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave, medical and life insurance, and education allowance are available for eligible employees and their recognised dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 days of annual leave and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8% of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Equal opportunity – SPC is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment is based entirely on merit; in cases where two short-listed candidates are judged to be of equal rank by the selection committee, preference will be given to Pacific Island nationals.
Child protection – SPC is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. SPC’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Police clearance – Successful candidates will be required to provide a police clearance certificate.
Closing date: 2nd February 2020 – 11:45 pm New-Caledonia time
Job Reference: AL000255
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
All positions at SPC have specific screening questions. If you do not respond to all of the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Please respond to the following by providing supporting materials as part of your application (attach documents):
Final_Job Description- Head Internal Audit and Risk.docx
- Provide a conceptual framework that defines the working relationships and the rights and responsibilities of the outsourced service provider to the Head of Audit; the rights and responsibilities of the Internal Audit function towards the Audit and Risk Committee (ARC) and management; working relationship with the external statutory auditors and project auditors, including areas where mutual assurances are advisable.
- Provide an internal audit Capability Maturity Model and the audit activities that are required to enhance this.
- Provide an optimum internal control framework, including IT controls, with an emphasis on risk reduction.