- Attractive and competitive local package
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Public Health Division (PHD) supports members in developing healthier Pacific Island communities by providing assistance in public health surveillance, and in the prevention and control of communicable and non-communicable diseases. The primary focus of the division is to provide scientific and technical assistance and to support the implementation of plans and programmes in member countries and territories. The primary goals for all PHD activities is to promote population health and well-being, help communities prevent disease and restore and/or maintain health, and reduce inequalities in health. PHD is primarily concerned with improving and protecting public (population) health, rather than providing individual treatment services. PHD is comprised of three programmes: Surveillance Preparedness and Response; Non-Communicable Diseases (NCD) Prevention and Control; and Clinical Services. This position is located within the NCD Prevention and Control Programme.
The Finance and Administration Assistant will assist with administration and financial management, monitoring and report preparation, as well administrative support to the programme support team. The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Leading the PHD’s Secretarial and Administration task for all support teams;
- Continuous Improvement of PHD Administrative system, Processes including TMS system;
- Assist in Project Financial Management and Financial Support;
- Lead role in organising travel, workshops and conferences.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided.
Key selection criteria
- Diploma in a relevant discipline such as accounting or financial management
Knowledge and experience
- At least five years of experience in office secretarial and administration with some financial management in a reputable organisation;
- Good working knowledge of project accounting and associated reporting requirements.
- Strong interpersonal skills in the multicultural environment of the Pacific Islands;
- Excellent PC-based computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Remuneration – This is a full-time position at Band 6 in SPC’s 2019 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of FJD 1,801‒2,251 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Contract Duration – Three years
SPC is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. SPC’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child. Successful candidates will be required to provide a police clearance certificate.
Closing Date – 23 September 2019
Applicants must apply online.
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
To be considered for this role, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. These documents may be requested at a later stage.
Please ensure that you respond to all of the screening questions. If you do not respond to the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
JD Finance and Administration Assistant PHD.pdf
- Describe an example where you were responsible for organising a large regional event. How did you organise and schedule the tasks? Is there anything that you would have done differently?
- Please describe your background in financial administration (including reporting) and procurement (including facilitation of procurement processes) for donor-funded projects.
- Please describe your experience with preparing budgets for workshops or events?