- Attractive and competitive local package
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Land Resources Division (LRD) provides advice, technical assistance, research and training support to Pacific Island countries and territories (PICTs) on all aspects of agriculture and forestry. This includes plant protection, conservation, plant genetic resources, animal health and production, agroforestry, biosecurity and trade facilitation, and sustainable systems for agriculture, forestry and land management. This work has two objectives: improved food and nutritional security and resilient communities. The division’s services are provided through seven technical/thematic teams: Animal Health and Production; Plant Health; Biosecurity and Trade Facilitation; Forest and Agriculture Diversification; Crop Production and Extension; Genetic Resources; and Forests and Trees.
The Documentation and Database Technician is responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of the documentation and database systems for improved workflow and tractability of CePaCT activities, projects and other relevant information towards Genetics Resources.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Internal Quality Management System
- Pacific Agriculture Information System
- Pacific Genetic Resources Database (PACGEN Database)
- Project Management/Coordination
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided.
Key selection criteria
- Diploma in science with qualifications and experience in information technology and/or communication technology
Knowledge and experience
- At least 3 years of relevant experience
- Knowledge and experience in information, communication technology and management database systems
- Demonstrated experience in designing, developing and implementing database systems and programs
- Sound coordination, administrative, networking and negotiation skills
- Advanced computer skills in applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – 3 years
Remuneration – This is a full-time position at Band 7 in SPC’s 2019 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of FJD 2,177‒2,721 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
SPC is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. SPC’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child. Successful candidates will be required to provide a police clearance certificate.
Closing Date – 19 November 2019
Applicants must apply online.
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
To be considered for this role, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. These documents may be requested at a later stage.
Please ensure that you respond to all of the screening questions. If you do not respond to the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
JD - Documentation and Database Technician.pdf
- What is your understanding of a proper documentation system for a genebank?
- Please provide 4 examples of the type of data that need to be documented for crops and varieties stored in a genebank?
- What is your experience with planning and implementing a barcoding system?