- Join the principal development organisation in the Pacific region
- Noumea-based position (New Caledonia)
- Dynamic senior financial position with attractive expatriate package
The Pacific Community is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, proudly supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are renowned for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate provides corporate services to all SPC divisions and programmes. It consists of three key departments: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The role – The Director of Finance is SPC’s Chief Financial Officer and contributes to the overall success of SPC by effectively managing all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organisation. S/he provides authoritative advice on all financial matters relevant to the SPC to the Executive, governing bodies, Audit and Risk Committee and Senior Leadership Team. In addition, the position provides support for effective decision-making, resource allocation, external compliance, organizational reform and improved efficiency within a context of a rapidly changing external environment that requires constant adaptation across the organization.
S/he will be an experienced and qualified leader and manager with the ability to develop and maintain three distinct but interrelated Units: Finance, Procurement Grants Risks & Assets, and Facilities.
The position is expected to deliver business value and efficiencies. The key result areas for the position are broadly identified below:
Provide strategic leadership and management that ensures effective service delivery of finance and infrastructure services to support SPC’s overall strategy, in all SPC locations.
Identify, plan and implement strategic opportunities to improve and develop SPC finance and infrastructure support functions.
Ensure that SPC is well managed financially, cost recovered as appropriate, and that resources are directed to SPC priorities.
Provide advice to the Executive and work closely with others members of the Senior Leadership Team, and other internal stakeholders to implement system and process improvements, and further SPC’s strategic objectives.
Ensure the team’s compliance with all SPC’s legal obligations, policies and procedures and build SPC’s compliance with service specific policies.
Key selection criteria
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance or accounting. A first level university degree in combination with extensive qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
CPA, CA, CFA or similar accreditation will be considered as a plus.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible experience in financial management, ideally gained in both the private and public sectors, including the not-for–profit sector, with at least five years as a Director of Finance/CFO or equivalent .
- Experience in the formulation and implementation of major financial reforms such as new approaches to internal costing, ERP system development, and dynamic forecasting.
- A strong knowledge of IPSAS accounting standards and the preparation of financial statements for an international organisation.
- Experience in developing and managing project-based finance systems.
- Experience in the creation, amendment, implementation and enforcement of finance policies adapted for a diverse international organisation.
- Demonstrated experience leading a diverse team through positive change.
- Excellent leadership, change management and staff management skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of management strategies and practices within international development organisations
Excellent English language skills, with a good working knowledge of French being an advantage.
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Good interpersonal skills.
- A team player, with the ability to network and work effectively in a multicultural setting.
- Cultural sensitivity and a demonstrated understanding of developing country environments.
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Required start date – This position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Contract Duration – This position is budgeted for three years and is subject to renewal for three years depending on performance and funding.
Remuneration – The Director of Finance is a Band 15 position in SPC’s 2018 salary scale, with a starting salary range of 7,024–8,684 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately XPF 1,036,509–1,281,434 (USD 9,694–11,984; EUR 8,686–10,738). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia – SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and relocation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave, medical and life insurance, and education allowance are available for eligible employees and their recognised dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 days of annual leave and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8% of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
As an equal-opportunity employer, SPC recruits on merit; however, if two interviewed candidates are ranked equally by the selection committee, preference will be given to nationals of Pacific Island countries and territories.
Closing date: 8th of April
Job Reference: AL00028
Please use SPC’s online recruitment system to lodge your application: http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
All international positions at SPC have specific screening questions. If you do not respond to all of the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
What do you consider to be the critical elements of an ERP based project management system for an organization such as SPC. Detail any direct experience that you have in designing, implementing and utilising project management applications/modules.
What is full cost recovery and how can it be integrated into a financial planning and forecasting model? Illustrate your reply with concrete examples of your experience in this area.
What are your five most significant accomplishments in the area of finance? Explain the significance of each.
What are the three most important elements in a chief financial officer position and why.
Have you been convicted of any offences involving children?
http://spc.turborecruit.com.au/position_description/773/JD - OMD Director Finance.docx